Chelsea 1 Leeds United 0

JaneB

46 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

When you look at that lineup, it does make it difficult to understand how we are doing quite so badly, regardless of who the coach is. Find some space, pass to each other, shoot on target, tackle. It’s not bloody rocket science.

Yes if you think about this lineup in August pre-season, it looks like a solidly Top 4, potentially even title chasing team. 

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

When you look at that lineup, it does make it difficult to understand how we are doing quite so badly, regardless of who the coach is. Find some space, pass to each other, shoot on target, tackle. It’s not bloody rocket science.

We've not really played a back three since the first few games under Potter, which we ironically picked up points in. Since the move to a back four we've struggled a lot more across the board, which is interesting given how vocal some where on seeing us make that switch.

I'd like to see us return to a back three in the short term, especially while we don't have a proper holding player which a back four realistically needs generally speaking.  This would get both RJ and Chilwell higher up the pitch where they're capable of creating, we'll get a bit more offensively from Enzo in the middle while also having the extra CB in behind for cover should he push forward and Kova or whoever else partners him not sit. 

The negative however is that we'd be force to play Joao Felix upfront and away from where he operates best. It would also make both Mudryk and Madueke harder to slot into the side as both are more traditional types of wide players opposed to attacking midfield hybrids. But f*ck, at this point we've gotta try something to turn things around somewhat. 

2 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

We've not really played a back three since the first few games under Potter, which we ironically picked up points in. Since the move to a back four we've struggled a lot more across the board, which is interesting given how vocal some where on seeing us make that switch.

I'd like to see us return to a back three in the short term, especially while we don't have a proper holding player which a back four realistically needs generally speaking.  This would get both RJ and Chilwell higher up the pitch where they're capable of creating, we'll get a bit more offensively from Enzo in the middle while also having the extra CB in behind for cover should he push forward and Kova or whoever else partners him not sit. 

The negative however is that we'd be force to play Joao Felix upfront and away from where he operates best. It would also make both Mudryk and Madueke harder to slot into the side as both are more traditional types of wide players opposed to attacking midfield hybrids. But f*ck, at this point we've gotta try something to turn things around somewhat. 

Agree with most of this. We want to play a 4 and they are trying to get us comfortable with a 4 long term, but our version of that 4 is going to need a proper DM as you say. We did play a 4 against Dortmund and it worked well, but I probably would temporarily go back to a 5 to get some wins at this point. 

15 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

This is what I find more perplexing than anything , if we are desperately trying to transition to a back four "for the future" , why is he using players who in all eventuality won't actually be here in the future?

It's a mixed message in the same way negating our attacking impetus with insisting James and Chilwell don't attack as much as they used to. 

12 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Agree with most of this. We want to play a 4 and they are trying to get us comfortable with a 4 long term, but our version of that 4 is going to need a proper DM as you say. We did play a 4 against Dortmund and it worked well, but I probably would temporarily go back to a 5 to get some wins at this point. 

The only time we've looked somewhat decent in a back four this season has come in the more open fixtures - Dortmund being one of those, as was the Liverpool performance. When the games have been tighter and less end to end and open we've found it much harder going. 

Might be harder to do the back three in Europe right now though because we're without Thiago Silva due to injury, Badiashile isn't registered and that leaves us short of numbers unless Cucurella slots in as a LCB.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is what I find more perplexing than anything , if we are desperately trying to transition to a back four "for the future" , why is he using players who in all eventuality won't actually be here in the future?

It's a mixed message in the same way negating our attacking impetus with insisting James and Chilwell don't attack as much as they used to. 

You're guess is as good as mine. Like, I understand trying to use the "best" of what we've got and trying to find a workable eleven that are balanced and perform well together, but if we're seriously trying to get a few foundations in place the sensible thing is use those that'll have futures here. There'll be exceptions like Mount for example, but players like Ziyech, Pulisic, Auba (to a degree, purely because we lack strikers) make less sense. Give those minutes to the younger lads who could use the reps and exposure. 

That's the lack of a holding player for you, without a genuine option to play that role it makes it harder for the fullbacks to be aggressive higher up the pitch. Hence why we've seen Cucurella tucking into that faux CM/CB position out of possession. 

4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

With Silva out I’d go to a back 3, that should hopefully mean we get the best from James and Chilwell as well, rather than this horrible interpretation of them where they can’t pass the halfway line.

I’d then drop Havertz because, we’ll, he’s pointless at the moment. It means Felix has to play wider, but for me James and Chilwell are more productive in terms of output in the final third than him anyway. Sterling through the middle.

Mount back in and give him the armband and tell him we need him to make the difference, fire him up and hope we get a match winning performance from him. (In all likelihood Kova will be captain).

Kepa

Badiashile - Fofana - Koulibaly

James - Enzo - Kovacic - Chilwell

Mount - Felix - Sterling

Result? Absolutely no idea. I want to say win, but honestly, my expectations are so low that I just don’t see how we get a goal in order to get the win.

Smashed it - exactly what I would play, with the exception that I wouldn't have the back 3 setup in that order.  I'd go Fonfana - Koulibaly - Badiashille  

Kovacic is probably the most press resistant midfielder we have,  and agree that the back 3 would allow James and Chilwell to get forward.  

5 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Smashed it - exactly what I would play, with the exception that I wouldn't have the back 3 setup in that order.  I'd go Fonfana - Koulibaly - Badiashille  

Kovacic is probably the most press resistant midfielder we have,  and agree that the back 3 would allow James and Chilwell to get forward.  

Yeah, good shout actually. I switched the back 3 order quite a few times as none of them can quite play the role Silva does when we play a 3, but your order probably works slightly better.

I definitely think it should be a back 3 though. It keeps us solid back there while allowing our best attacking weapons to get forward and influence the game.

5 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Kepa

Badiashile - Fofana - Koulibaly

James - Enzo - Kovacic - Chilwell

Mount - Felix - Sterling

Yes. I think we have to go to a back three to free up James and Chilwell. Not sure how fit Fofana is but I guess we have Chalobah. Also I’d start Aubameyang up front instead of Sterling as I think we need a predator in the box with that formation. 

• Like 1

Graeme Potter has painted himself into a corner. On the one hand his various experiements with a false nine, or whatever position you would call Havertz on the field, has shown that it spikes whatever abilities our forwards have not having a striker to play off. Whereas is he picks Aubameyang for this one it will go to prove that he is not moving forwards with a plan as he has so studiously ignored the player for most of the season and will be seen to be backtracking. He is doomed if he does and doomed if he doesn't. He has engineered a situation where he simply can't afford to play Aubameyang.

It's become a joke now that we can't buy a win and that our goal tally is embarrassing. Anything but a 4+ goal thrashing of the mighty Leeds will show neither progress nor continued deterioration but rather a blip unlikely to be built upon. And I can't see that happening.

We knew that effectively having to restart a footclub from scratch in the summer was going to be problematic however the one thing we all thought we would be able to rely on was that the players, both old and new, would put their hearts into it. Maybe this is a reflection of GenZ and their inability to deal with anything other than success. No longer are they standing on the shoulders of giants and unfortunately we can't see their heads above the holes they've dug themselves.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

0-2 it is then. 

You say that but that well known sage Gabby Agbonlahor predicts  a 1-2 loss. Seeing that the guy knows less about football than my dog I am cautiously buoyed and think we may actually win. Obviously therefore 1-0 as to predict us to score more than a single goal is madness.

• Haha 1

We knew that Silva was out.  Mount and James are clearly a blow, and whilst I would have played Mount, let's be honest, he's bang off form at the moment and hasn't been starting recently anyway.   Perhaps we could go with something like this instead:

Kepa

Fofana    Koulibaly  Badiashille

Madueke       Kovacic     Enzo      Chilwell 

Felix              Sterling           Mudryk 

Could obviously swap Sterling and Felix around depending on preference for who plays false 9. 

Gut feel says Ziyech and Havertz will find themselves in there though....

54 minutes ago, Rob B said:

We knew that Silva was out.  Mount and James are clearly a blow, and whilst I would have played Mount, let's be honest, he's bang off form at the moment and hasn't been starting recently anyway.   Perhaps we could go with something like this instead:

Kepa

Fofana    Koulibaly  Badiashille

Madueke       Kovacic     Enzo      Chilwell 

Felix              Sterling           Mudryk 

Could obviously swap Sterling and Felix around depending on preference for who plays false 9. 

Gut feel says Ziyech and Havertz will find themselves in there though....

If they get another start then that's just Potter signing off on his own P45.

With no Dave or James, Chalobah on the right? He didn't make the bench on Saturday. Watch Potter station two on the right, with orders that one stays inside our half.

We'll go down our left predominantly and be toothless, as Leeds will double-up. Their in form winger attacking our right. 

Bamford for a goal?

Is anyone worried that again after a couple of matches Reece is injured again, by all accounts this time its his hamstring.

This player is so important to this team and its been obvious in the past couple of matches he has been holding his self back either by his own choice or the medical department at the club.

Now its something else, it's so frustrating to I am sure Reece and the fans who know he is a special talent.

1 hour ago, Phoenix Blue said:

Is anyone worried that again after a couple of matches Reece is injured again, by all accounts this time its his hamstring.

This player is so important to this team and its been obvious in the past couple of matches he has been holding his self back either by his own choice or the medical department at the club.

Now its something else, it's so frustrating to I am sure Reece and the fans who know he is a special talent.

Very worried. The sooner the new RWB arrives in the summer the better. 

We need someone whose levels are not miles below RJ.  

• Like 2