Chelsea 2 Borussia Dortmund 0 (2 - 1 on aggregate)

JaneB

Great result. Credit to Potter. Havertz and Cucurella came through for him. Fofana and Koulibaly immense. Chilwell was superb. Got a bit of luck with the penalty. Both the initial decision and the retake. 

But that was a tough and gutsy performance against a team on a roll. 

• Like 2

Just now, boratsbrother said:

Luck went our way for a change but we fully deserved to go through over the two legs.

Pleased for  GP and the players but also the fans who've had next to nothing to cheer about this season.

We finally had some luck tonight, but as you say, over the two legs we definitely deserved to go through… the score line possibly flatter Dortmund in the end.

Potter taken a lot of flack and rightly so, but tonight he deserves to celebrate and to take some credit. 

• Like 3

Oh my lord! 

I'd forgotten this feeling of unadulterated joy. The Leeds win was tainted by a poor performance but tonight was beautiful.

Everyone played their part. 

I've said it before but it would be sooo Chelsea to go on and win this thing 💙

• Like 2

Just now, martin1905 said:

Penalty?

I thought we got very, very lucky but not seen a replay.

It WAS a penalty and also very justified in retaking as the player who cleared the rebound was yards inside the D.

3 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Cucurella, maybe we will need someone who only makes back passes, is always out of position, too slow to get back and plays with his hair better than the ball 

Best game I have seen him have.

Last 8. Didnt see that coming

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Penalty?

I thought we got very, very lucky but not seen a replay.

I’d have been annoyed if that was given against us. But we deserved a bit of luck. And I can see why the ref gave it as it did hit his hand.

Edited by Original 21

2 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I’d have been annoyed if that was given against us. But we deserved a bit of luck. And I can see why the ref gave it as it did hit his hand.

In real time, it just looked far too close but is what it is and we'll take it!!

6 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Bosh! Tonight may well be a turning point, but I’m going to sleep on it before going to far.

We should all take into account that we are less than a year into a major rebuilding job. Even if we win the CL there would still be a lot of work to do on this team and squad to get us back to challenging the at the top of the league. Long way to go but I have faith in GP getting us back up there.

• Like 1

Potter looked good in the pre-match press conference and even better on the pitch.

Congrats to him, the lads and the fans.

Let's take one game at a time now but we deserve to celebrate.

I thought Dortmund were really poor, but we were pretty good and no complaints.

Too many giveaways first half was a worry and we needed to control first part of the game better.

But we looked great in both boxes - Kai MOTM and Raheem close second for me.

Credit to Fofana too - he's doing amazing. Koulibaly finally looking the part as well as Cucurella.

And finally we have a formation that suits our wing-backs! Surely we have to stick with the back five.

• Like 1

An excellent result, richly deserved, a good performance and some standout individual efforts. Our inability to put together and finish chances remains and both goals had an element of good fortune, but there is no doubt we were the better side over the two legs.

Some of the substitutions were mystifying (especially playing Pulisic, who was predictably poor when he came on), but he got away with it.

It would be just like us to win the thing this year!