Chelsea 2 Borussia Dortmund 0 (2 - 1 on aggregate)

JaneB

20 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

We should just enjoy and revel in the performance and result in themselves imo. Turning points are only ever seen with hindsight, and we're still on a very long stretch of poor form. I know that I enjoyed myself much more last night than I have at any game this season so far, and that's enough for me.

said earlier - rock bottom Leicester away is a good test

• Like 1

1 hour ago, east lower said:

GP’s best efforts have come in the CL in my opinion and I’ve seen the home efforts in person. I think that I may have said that previously somewhere else in this forum. 

However, you can get lucky in a cup competition ala Di Matteo. Mr P needs to demonstrate the ability to mount a sustained level of performance in the league, where broadly speaking the team’s performance has been poor.

Wins breed confidence though, so let’s hope he’s approaching the corner, he’s picked the correct racing line this time and he doesn’t end up sideways, as he has done every time he’s tried to get the car round this bend previously.

Of course you can get lucky with CL …Tuchel got lucky too didn’t he?  I would also say RDM had a great side/squad to win with…leaders all over the pitch. Our greatest ever forward, our greatest ever midfielder, greatest ever keeper, our greatest ever left back… a quality back line. Plus we had a fair bit of luck …it was written in the stars remember!  If GP does it , it will be a greater feat. 

I get people’s frustration , I’m just a bit surprised at the complete lack of hope displayed on these pages sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Tammy did remarkably well during Franks first season and Ok in season two until TT came in and showed him the door

I would have kept Tammy and Giroud , but Tammy was getting absolute pelters on here. You cannot call him a very consistent goalscorer in the bracket of Costa. He was a real good academy player who was useful to have in your squad, but that’s it. 

25 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I would have kept Tammy and Giroud , but Tammy was getting absolute pelters on here. You cannot call him a very consistent goalscorer in the bracket of Costa. He was a real good academy player who was useful to have in your squad, but that’s it. 

Costa 3 seasons PL Goals 20, 12, 20 

Tammy 1.5 seasons PL Goals 15, 6. 

not so far apart, when you take into account how TT binned him halfway through a season and didn’t have Hazzard next to him. 

8 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

I think one of the other things I took from the game and performance last night. I’m not sure how the stats ended up, but we spent decent parts of the game with less possession and how we look better for it.

Counter attack teams who rely on counter attack can be very one dimensional. We don’t play on counter attack enough though. Those periods when  our possessions was between 40%—45% we looked well organised and in control, whilst having that threat on the counter.

We carried more of a threat than the endless 55% possession going nowhere. I hope Potter sees this and realises we don’t need to just dominate possession to win games. 

Thought that myself especially at one stage in the first half when it was something like 29% Chelsea possession and the Big W tactic was not ignored!

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

not so far apart, when you take into account how TT binned him halfway through a season and didn’t have Hazzard next to him. 

I liked him and he’s done ok at Milan . I might even have him in this squad. But who would rather have….the Costa in his pomp or Tammy in his pomp? 

28 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I liked him and he’s done ok at Milan . I might even have him in this squad. But who would rather have….the Costa in his pomp or Tammy in his pomp? 

*Roma

I don't think that's a fair comparison, Tammy was very young and didn't have much top level experience when he played here - mostly Championship loans to that point. Costa's best season might have made him our best striker of the modern era had we had a few more of them - Drogba was made for finals and big moments but fired up Diego was a sight to behold at times in the Premier League. 

Edited by FrankLampard8

3 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Of course you can get lucky with CL …Tuchel got lucky too didn’t he?  I would also say RDM had a great side/squad to win with…leaders all over the pitch. Our greatest ever forward, our greatest ever midfielder, greatest ever keeper, our greatest ever left back… a quality back line. Plus we had a fair bit of luck …it was written in the stars remember!  If GP does it , it will be a greater feat. 

I get people’s frustration , I’m just a bit surprised at the complete lack of hope displayed on these pages sometimes. 

On the latter, there’s been far too much dross performed on the pitch for one decent performance to start to turn minds and hearts. 

So many others have said it before that GP seems personable and perhaps likeable and not many should have wanted him to fail, so I believe that should we see more signs of a consistent improvement then views will change. Must say that there’s something about his persona that I am not completely comfortable with, not sure what it is, call it a gut feel.

11 minutes ago, JaneB said:

To be fair, when I watched it on TV after getting back from the game it was a leg breaker and Reece got lucky that Bellingham missed his leg planted on the ground. Reaction justified in my book. 

22 minutes ago, east lower said:

On the latter, there’s been far too much dross performed on the pitch for one decent performance to start to turn minds and hearts. 

So many others have said it before that GP seems personable and perhaps likeable and not many should have wanted him to fail, so I believe that should we see more signs of a consistent improvement then views will change. Must say that there’s something about his persona that I am not completely comfortable with, not sure what it is, call it a gut feel.

To be fair, when I watched it on TV after getting back from the game it was a leg breaker and Reece got lucky that Bellingham missed his leg planted on the ground. Reaction justified in my book. 

Very sensible and accurate post... agree and I'm glad I'm not the only one not entirely comfortable and share the gut thing....feel a bit guilty about that and wish GP no ill will.

If GP turns everything around I will be very pleased for us , GP and the club,

Had a lot of crap advice over the years but one of the bits that stuck.."You don't have to like someone to work with them,,,but you do need to respect them"...would be my feeling if GP succeeds. (and not the first time!)

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I should have qualified that Dave. Goals from forwards. We obviously won champions league and finished top 4 and you don’t do that without scoring goals. But there was a long spell when only defenders and occasional midfield players ever scored. If you remember ,Lukaku was given the title of the ‘ missing piece of the puzzle’ … ie someone who could hit the back of the net. He couldn’t.  Tuchel  didn’t get the push for no reason. His team couldn’t score goals ( or enough goals). When those defenders stopped scoring  ( as of course they eventually would) the forwards didn’t replace the goals. Tell me who our last consistent quality goalscorer was? Costa maybe? 

I agree with you. Forward players have underdelivered ever since we had Costa and Fabregas and Hazard before his move to Real Madrid. 

League goals:

2022/23 - Sterling 4 (15 games)

2021/22 Mount 11 (32 games)

2020/21 - Jorginho 7 (28 games)

2019/20 Abraham 15 (34 games)

2018/19 Hazard 16 (37 games)

2017/18 Hazard 12 (34 games)

2016/17 Costa 20 (35 games)

2015/16 Costa 12 (28 games)

2014/15 Costa 20 (26 games)

2013/14 Hazard 14 (35 games)

2012/13 Lampard 15 (29 games)

Last three seasons really stick out don’t they? Especially this season and 2020/21 where I think all 7 goals from Jorginho came from the spot. 

But I think (in hindsight) that it is remarkable that Tuchel managed 2 goals per game despite only having one player reaching double figures in the PL. 

3 hours ago, east lower said:

I know what you mean about gut feelings and it’s as good a reason as any. But what our gut feelings are, are only relevant to us really. More importantly it’s the gut feeling of the players about GP , and their body language to me indicates that the players are with him and the project…and that is absolutely crucial . And  yes, one swallow doesn’t make a summer, but neither should half a season define a coach. 

Fell asleep before tonight's kick offs and woke up to find Spurs losing in injury time with 10 men hahahaha. 

I had a morbid curiosity to potentially draw them in the Quarters, but glad that potential banana skin possibility is gone.

Milan would be a nice potential opponent again. We had their number in the group and they have been shocking in Serie A. 

As for the other game, I would have preferred PSG to go through, but Munich haven't exactly been vintage this year themselves. 

The more I reflect the more I think the only draw that would give me no hope is if we get City (and I think Leipzig may spring them a surprise next week). 

Napoli aren't experienced at this stage of the competition. We are blessed in that regard. 

Even Madrid haven't exactly been firing, the Liverpool game was an outlier and that game's chaos arguably hinged on 2 keeper errors. 

My confidence is flying after last night. 

• Like 1

Chap I know - a Spurs supporter and an amateur ref (ok, bit of an oddball) was at the match. Long walk to the station in the snow, train, tube, bit of a walk at the other end. He’ll be in a great mood. His cat will be bracing itself. I think his missus is staying with her sister. My trainer is also a Spud, so expecting to get an extra 20kg on all weights next session. 

So will it be a resurgent Liverpool next?

10 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Giroud had ran his course based on how we wanted to play, he simply couldn't contribute to the press and that's a big factor when to press successfully from the front everyone has to contribute. He was however good to link play and use as an outlet. 

Tammy's criticism was justified and the fact we got what we did from his sale was good business. 

10 hours ago, ROTG said:

The narrative of Tammy being "binned" by Tuchel is quite flimsy with context. 

Featured in Tuchel's first two games - cameo off the bench vs Wolves and then started (although dragged at HT justly) vs Burnley. Unused sub in the next two that we won. Started and got injured after 20 min in the next vs Newcastle. Started the following match vs Southampton and then got dragged at HT. Missed the next 5 games with his ankle injury and returned with 9 games left of the season - where he made the bench 4 times, featured twice off the bench vs West Ham and Fulham, and not in the  squad 3 times. At that point of the season we couldn't afford to play an out of form  semi-fit Tammy, while we also won 6 of those last 9 games. 

The only real gripe towards Tuchel could've been held with not selecting him in the squad for the Champions League final, nor the FA Cup semi and final either. That's where I think Tammy got stiffed a bit, otherwise Tuchel was justified in the way he was utilised in the league. If anything, getting that ankle injury is what screwed Tammy the most and the timing of it. 

Edited by xceleryx

8 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

. But who would rather have….the Costa in his pomp or Tammy in his pomp? 

Costa scored goals out of nothing.He didn't need the ball put on a plate for him.Chances to goals Costa was probable one of our best of all time(without knowing the stat's).

When Costa got the ball within striking distance you got excited - compare that to Tammy or anyone else since Costa.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I know what you mean about gut feelings and it’s as good a reason as any. But what our gut feelings are, are only relevant to us really. More importantly it’s the gut feeling of the players about GP , and their body language to me indicates that the players are with him and the project…and that is absolutely crucial . And  yes, one swallow doesn’t make a summer, but neither should half a season define a coach. 

Agreed, what I or anyone thinks about GP are 99% irrelevant. Collectively they might have an effect on an outcome I.e. if the fans turned on him collectively and consistently, that may have an effect.

From what we can see it does appear that some of the players are with him……..but the cautionary note is the happy ones do, the unhappy ones can cause problems.  The one’s playing will play along generally and the one’s not playing who think they should can cause the mischief. 

What I’d expect is seeing improvement, especially over the amount of games we have played, at least be competitive and the record we have when playing top 8-10 teams in the league is pure rubbish s and a top coach should have this group of players at the very least, competitive. I’d have had him out after the Southampton game and possibly before but we have then gone and won the next two. Let’s all trust that he and the people above him have the ability and good judgement and the doubters will be shown the error of their thoughts.

He has got too many players and that is an area where he needs to make decisions and the club needs to back him by moving players on.

3 hours ago, east lower said:

He has got too many players and that is an area where he needs to make decisions and the club needs to back him by moving players on.

I think once our Champions League run comes to and end and we're just got the league remaining he should begin drawing a line. Select those who he wants to keep around, while those that have no future here can be sat down and advised  that their season is over. 

I'd rather us put the extra minutes into some of the younger lads, or trying to get some of the purchases like Mudryk and Madueke more up to speed with English football. We don't need to be giving players like Ziyech or a Pulisic game time when we're fully aware of what they are as players. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I think once our Champions League run comes to and end and we're just got the league remaining he should begin drawing a line. Select those who he wants to keep around, while those that have no future here can be sat down and advised  that their season is over. 

I'd rather us put the extra minutes into some of the younger lads, or trying to get some of the purchases like Mudryk and Madueke more up to speed with English football. We don't need to be giving players like Ziyech or a Pulisic game time when we're fully aware of what they are as players. 

Agree with that sometimes think it has been to put those players in the window with the summer transfer period approaching yet certainly would be preferable to give the new younger players more minutes,

12 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

It's a fine balance as the club will probably want to maximise returns from player sales snd if buyers are aware that x, y or z players are sat in the redundancy room then our sale position will suffer.

A position the club has put itself in, I'd add.

Only exception is Pulisic, he'd get Bogarde treatment from me. Wouldn't pay him in shirt buttons. Did his best Forest Gump impression on Tuesday night, chin in his chest rlf, don't look up and see Gallagher completely free making his run in the middle, just run until you lose possession :classic_angry:

2 minutes ago, east lower said:

It's a fine balance as the club will probably want to maximise returns from player sales snd if buyers are aware that x, y or z players are sat in the redundancy room then our sale position will suffer.

A position the club has put itself in, I'd add.

Only exception is Pulisic, he'd get Bogarde treatment from me. Wouldn't pay him in shirt buttons. Did his best Forest Gump impression on Tuesday night, chin in his chest rlf, don't look up and see Gallagher completely free making his run in the middle, just run until you lose possession :classic_angry:

That's probably true and makes sense trying to preserve the value of those we have. At the same time though it's quite clear that a certain few have no futures here, those just need to be shifted and moved on from  over trying to maximise sale value .

We're think very much alike on Pulisic though. I wouldn't even want him turning up to play for the academy teams and instead would gladly accept us paying him out so to never kick a ball for us again. 

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Mudryk and Madueke more up to speed with English football.

What’s the point.  

If the club appoint a WC coach neither are getting into the coaches starting eleven.  They are expensive squad players at best next season, should the club changes the coaching staff.

Edited by ROTG