How would YOU run Chelsea FC?

Holymoly

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

So it's my 60th Birthday today and I am sad to say that I think Chelsea will never again reach the heights of the past 20 years. The fortunes of the club and my own health seem to be declining in perfect synchronicity. I don't intend to go "gently into the good night" and I expect the new leadership equally to "rail against the dying of the light" . Having just had a stupidly expensive Birthday lunch I am sure that CFC will have isolated days of celebration, but if I can mix my metaphors, goodbye Roman and thanks for all the fish!

Many happy returns big man! 

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

So it's my 60th Birthday today and I am sad to say that I think Chelsea will never again reach the heights of the past 20 years. The fortunes of the club and my own health seem to be declining in perfect synchronicity. I don't intend to go "gently into the good night" and I expect the new leadership equally to "rail against the dying of the light" . Having just had a stupidly expensive Birthday lunch I am sure that CFC will have isolated days of celebration, but if I can mix my metaphors, goodbye Roman and thanks for all the fish!

Happy birthday RW.

Many happy returns.  I hope your health issues are minor and that the club's fortunes improve alongside yours. 

💙

Many happy return, @RDCW,  lang may yer lum reek. Speaking as someone nearing the next decade (and definitely closer to being a grumpy  OG), enjoy still being a spring chicken, and such advantages as it confers - train and bus passes, half price tickets to SB in 5 years … this club might have hit the canvas, but it hasn’t been counted out just yet.

14 hours ago, RDCW said:

Happy Birthday mate, I hope the lunch was stupidly expensive and worth it!

Hope nothing too serious health wise, keep fighting the good fight my friend!

21 hours ago, RDCW said:

Sorry I missed this mate. Hope you had a good birthday. Nice to see someone bringing some good Welsh culture to the forums.

To go off  at a tangent however, it occurs to me that the best thing that Boehly and Clearlake could do is to appoint a footballing Chief Executive. I don't think there is any other Premier League club where the owner is as much in the media as at our club. Even at Spuds Levy may always be in the news however it isn't for the things he says, more the things he doesn't say. Under Roman's reign we had the likes of Peter Kenyon, Ron Gourlay and Marina Granovskaia to throw cabbages at while Roman himself retained a degree of respectability by never appearing in the press opening his mouth and putting his foot in it. Instead we have TB giving these interviews in various parts of the world giving the impression that he is a bit bemused by the goings on of professional football (each country has its own transfer market? Who knew?). I will always appreciate what he did for our club in our time of need but now is the time he has to take a step back and pay the experienced professionals to run the club.

What worries me the most is the June deadline when we need to have disposed of some players in order to assure FFP is satisfied. Everyone knows we have to sell so no-one is going to pay the going rate (if at all given their visible lack of ability and motivation). This is the sort of situation where Marina was brillliant, her tactical financial nous was legendary given some of the deals she pulled off. If things remain as they are I can see the owners getting their arses handed to them by the global football market who can always smell when there is blood in the water.

51 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I will always appreciate what he did for our club in our time of need but now is the time he has to take a step back and pay the experienced professionals to run the club.

Is that not the role of newly formed TB sports departments?

23 hours ago, RDCW said:

Happy birthday, young man. And welcome to the wonderful sixties 😁

Hmm..to all you OG's and L plate OG's.... deep rooted Chelsea loyalty and hard experience of the "less than Great days" but they were,and still are, OUR Chelsea days.!

With the enthusiastic youngsters like CarefreeM to remind us of our younger years despite the down season still a great forum to share.

So appro nothing for a smile and a pointed stick to pick at the tolerance of our mighty (respected) Mods I will just pick up on Mr.Williams expensive and I hope wonderfully enjoyable birthday lunch and,,a comment a while back from..I think Blue Moon, regarding walking out of a bar or such because of bad service..meant to comment back then....

Sort of Chelsea related..a stretch but...

Yesterday went for breakfast locally prior to grocery shopping...for some reason or other most local restaurants of every type are struggling to get staff and hoping I think for the Summer student work force to appear...sound familiar?

A thin veil over the whole story but suffice to say our first choice was a disaster resulting in me explaining politely and tersely to a very ineffective server gal .."Excuse me Maam...we are done here and are waiting no longer."...this was after half an hour that included some 10 minutes before having two totally non related to our order dishes presented to us and politely refused.

A visit to our second option was the opposite and very enjoyable.

My point was not the time waiting at the first restaurant but the complete lack of professionalism by the staff and absolute rank bad service...unfortunately I have spent a long time around "the business" not to be able to see the real issues .

Which strangely enough..you might say... sort of sums up the overall Chelsea season regarding players attitude, management application and end results!

18 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Belated birthday wishes @RDCW! 🥳🥳🍾🍾

I feel spring chicken like being in my early 50’s.

Callow youth!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes happy birthday young man.I don't want to worry folk but is following Chelsea bad for your health!?.

There's you, me,Chara,Mark,Ham(I'm sure I've missed a few)that have suffered I'll health.Are we as jinxed as the team?☺

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Yes happy birthday young man.I don't want to worry folk but is following Chelsea bad for your health!?.

There's you, me,Chara,Mark,Ham(I'm sure I've missed a few)that have suffered I'll health.Are we as jinxed as the team?☺

Naah not jinxed kev...it's those early "formative" Chelsea years that give us the stubborness to keep rocking on!

6 minutes ago, chara said:

Naah not jinxed kev...it's those early "formative" Chelsea years that give us the stubborness to keep rocking on!

Very true.I was super healthy until I hit 60.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Very true.I was super healthy until I hit 60.

Odd that. I think I started becoming truly healthy when I reached 60. It's hard to be sure as there are chunks of my youth that I can't really remember very well.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Funny that.There are chunks in my sixties that can't remember very well🤪

I can remember my late teens, my twenties, my thirties like they were yesterday... but don't ask me what I did this morning because I doubt I'll be able to remember that far back in time!!!

10 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I can remember my late teens, my twenties, my thirties like they were yesterday... but don't ask me what I did this morning because I doubt I'll be able to remember that far back in time!!!

I remember my first day in primary school(4 years old) when a little ruffian stuck a pencil in my eye and I cried to go home.

Scarred me for life as you can probably tell!.

Sorry mods  don't mean to hijack the thread.

Don’t worry @kev61, similar thing happened to me. Told me if my mum walked me to school they’d beat me up at lunch, and if i walked home alone they’d get me in the alley by the shops. Taught me a lesson. Learned to run bloody fast. 

Mum was trying to figure out how to get away without me noticing and getting upset. I sat down in a corner with a book (she had taught me to read) and I completely ignored her. I think she was a little disappointed. 

2 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Don’t worry @kev61, similar thing happened to me. Told me if my mum walked me to school they’d beat me up at lunch, and if i walked home alone they’d get me in the alley by the shops. Taught me a lesson. Learned to run bloody fast. 

To finish the story the little ruffian became a good friend of mine.As fate would have it we both played for the same team and remained good friends.I moved away and he became the most successful manager in the history of the club we both played for.

Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago while on a family holiday.

@kev61....great wandering of topic thread kev....bit like coming on here years ago and still getting great pleasure from interacting with everyone..and I mean everyone.

First day at school ?...my mum walked me first morning and met me afterschool..first and last time.....being an August baby I was only just 5...

At an Easter Egg Hunt thingy a little while back....couple of dozen at least across the age spectrum kids plus the helicopter parents...not one would have survived in our (collective) school playground...conversation recently regarding us as feral kids not cosseted diddums..(OG..when I were a lad...yadda yadda}😄

21 minutes ago, chara said:

@kev61....great wandering of topic thread kev....bit like coming on here years ago and still getting great pleasure from interacting with everyone..and I mean everyone.

First day at school ?...my mum walked me first morning and met me afterschool..first and last time.....being an August baby I was only just 5...

At an Easter Egg Hunt thingy a little while back....couple of dozen at least across the age spectrum kids plus the helicopter parents...not one would have survived in our (collective) school playground...conversation recently regarding us as feral kids not cosseted diddums..(OG..when I were a lad...yadda yadda}😄

Oh get over it Chara!.Do you think this is some sort of drop in therapy centre!

Only joking😉.

Maybe there should be a thread for OG's for those that are a few steps away from a nursing home😄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, kev61 said:

Funny that.There are chunks in my sixties that can't remember very well🤪

The old forum could have filled in a good percentage of those missing moments 😉

7 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Thought it was just me 🙈

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

The old forum could have filled in a good percentage of those missing moments 😉

Thought it was just me 🙈

What are you implying? wink.

I could have been going through a bad time with health issues! wink.