Leicester City 1 Chelsea 3

JaneB

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I thought he struggled to get involved, but when he did, he looked dangerous 

For the first 60 minutes he gave the ball away and horribly miscontrolled everything that came his way. It was a car crash. Really awful.

The last 30 minutes were just ok.  

I think he'll be fine but I'm calling a spade a spade on today. 

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm not saying anything very complicated, so I'm struggling to see why you aren't following ... Leicester had plenty of very good chances. Another day, you'd not be surprised to see someone of them go in. Certainly we've all sat on this forum licking our wounds over similar or even lesser chances not taken this season. I was disagreeing with a suggestion otherwise.

But that's playing on the counter, isn't it. For all its risks, I think it suits where we are right now much better. The last two games are some vindication of that.

On balance  we deserved to win that game 6 or 7 goals to 3 based on chances and missed opportunities. 

• Agree 1

Haha , not even match commentary. Have all the commentators walked out as well? Im only surprised all the camera men and editors didn’t down tools too. 
edit: Nice goals though. Technique of Chilly was exquisite. I saw Kepa flap at two high balls that nearly cost us goals . It’s still a weakness of his. But confidence is in the team now and momentum is important. 

Edited by NoblyBobly

1 minute ago, NoblyBobly said:

Haha , not even match commentary. Have all the commentators walked out as well? Im only surprised all the camera men and editors didn’t down tools too. 

I’m thoroughly enjoying it.  Nicely condensed.

And watching Liverpool lose and Salah miss a penalty is an added bonus.  Mind you I’m amazed Liverpool didn’t boycott their match bearing  in mind their high moral principles 🙄

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I’m thoroughly enjoying it.  Nicely condensed.

And watching Liverpool lose and Salah miss a penalty is an added bonus.  Mind you I’m amazed Liverpool didn’t boycott their match bearing  in mind their high moral principles 🙄

Missed it by a donkeys arse too! 
Liverpool will be working out if they can all fit on the virtue stall! 
Anyway who cares? Very nice 3 points for us and keep confidence high and momentum moving in right direction. 

First of all the refereeing was abysmal.The foul on Felix was as clear a red card as you'r ever likely to see,and what happened after was a litany of of sneaky cynical dangerous fouls on us that were ignored by an incompetent referee.

I had an american stream and the commentators were saying the follow through on tackles and the stamping by leicester players was unintentional....yeah fcuking right!.

As for the game itself - I'm glad other teams are getting more possession  and we come away with the spoils.If it means we are becoming a counter attacking team I'm all for it.

We are seeing players coming out of their shells more,Havertz being most notable.

I was worried about Felix being a flop because I didn't really rate him during the world cup...I am pleasantly surprised.He is giving us a new dimension going forward that I haven't seen in quite a while.

It's early days of course and it's easy to get carried away, but my gut tells me we are at last getting the players that will guarantee at least a top four next season.

Just for the record I'm still not convinced with Potter.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I realise we are a long way from title contenders, just throwing it out there that maybe , just maybe Potter maybe isn’t a totally useless coach. Too early to say with authority I know, but maybe he’s perhaps getting to know the players he inherited a couple of months …their strengths and weaknesses. And maybe he’s getting the benefit of the injured returners especially the full backs. Maybe he’s getting his vision of how he wants us to play together.  And maybe calling for his dismissal a few weeks ago was a tad premature. We are climbing the table, we are in the quarters of the CL and are playing some nice stuff. 
We are not going to be relegated so how about we give GP until the end of the season then reassess?

I think that spectre was affecting everyone and now that seems to have diminished maybe we can look at GP with more objectivity...leading a downward spiral is not a good image!

I still need to be convinced that GP is more than just a good average coach.

Willing to be convinced but a way to go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RDCW said:

We have to face the French next; that is going to be dreadful! 

Tonight, though.......celebration!

My brother in law has got me a ticket for the Ireland v England game next week.Can't say I'm excited about a game that I have little interest in,but my brother in law is good craic and a fellow piss head that enjoys the game.

Apparently Ireland are rated best in the world according to him...Whoopee, and also it will be on a day of the St Patrick's day weekend   - oh the joy😥

• Haha 1

Only just managed to catch the game now via replay so my comments are naturally delayed. Thought it was a solid performance albeit not perfect, we still tend to allow sides back into the contest too easy which could've been more costly had Leicester taken their chances. That being said I thought we played some good football in spurts, and on another day could've quite easily have had a couple more goals. 

As someone that threw Enzo's name out as a target in the summer I'm ecstatic that we've not only been able to bring him here, but that he's also shown just how bloody good he is in such a short span of time. That over top pass he played is exactly why a holding midfielder for next season is a must, he needs to be be able to have that freedom to get higher up the pitch and if we can provide that environment more often we're going to reap the benefits. 

Havertz had another good showing and looks more comfortable dropping deeper into the hole with Mudryk sort of taking over that forward role that Sterling played vs Dortmund. Speaking of Mudryk thought he was so-so for the most part. Showed a lack of sharpness at times likely due to both not having played much football but also playing in a higher more central role. Did like his movement however and had a couple glimpses of what he can do when in full flight. If he can find that level on a consistent basis he's going to be a handful for a lot of sides with his pace and technical skill. Gallagher also impressed after coming on, really hope we hang onto him for next season because his industry is such an underrated trait that is quite useful to have on hand. 

Credit to Potter for his team selection which I thought was spot on initially, along with the tactical adjustments he made throughout. Not perfect by all means but its a step up from what he's largely shown since arriving. 

Overall though another good win and performance, feels strange having several positive performance in a row but something I'm sure we could all get used to again very quickly. Gotta keep building upon this now to round out the season. 

8 hours ago, Proud-Blue said:

Isn't this a straight red or do I not understand the rules? It's like he has two goes at raking his shins.

No. you understand the rules correctly.Referees  interpretation of the rules in the game is in crisis.

What constitutes a hand ball?  What is a red card offense?(we saw it today without any card)

VAR is a good idea but should only be used in whether the ball has crossed the goal line or not.

We need more input from ex professionals in the game.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I think this is a stretch. Leicester hit the bar, had a shot cleared off the line and missed two absolute sitters (Amartey 1st half point blank header, Dewsbury-Hall's 2nd half mis-kick). Not making any broader point about the performance, result, coach etc., just think it's not really defensible to say number but not nature of chances were equal. It was at points quite end-to-end, a game of real chances for both ... Perhaps a concern given Leicester hadn't managed a shot on target for two whole league games prior.

In fact, what pleased me is that we did give up space, played on the counter and actually scored a goal (Chilwell's) from something that was barely even a chance. Usually we absolutely labour to just miss something presentable, so to score from a first-time effort was very enjoyable.

Missed the game and only saw the highlights on the 30min sky slot. That made the chances created look very even.  Also heard a report on the radio saying it was an open game that Chelsea bossed in early parts but, Leicester created enough chances to come away with something and bossed the game in certain parts too. Sounds like a typical case of we didn't put the game to bed when on top 

The important thing is another win and keeping up the momentum.

• Agree 1

Only caught the second half and have to say I could only relax after we scored the third. They missed some fairly good chances, courtesy of Kepa flapping at crosses, and it looked like they were more likely to score the next goal than us. Saying that I thought Mudryk and Havertz looked good and Mudryk took his (disallowed) goal well. It does affect us when Chilwell and James aren’t on the pitch.  But Cucurella had another good game and Enzo and Kovacic were class. 

Edited by Original 21

15 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm not saying anything very complicated, so I'm struggling to see why you aren't following ... Leicester had plenty of very good chances. Another day, you'd not be surprised to see someone of them go in. Certainly we've all sat on this forum licking our wounds over similar or even lesser chances not taken this season. I was disagreeing with a suggestion otherwise.

But that's playing on the counter, isn't it. For all its risks, I think it suits where we are right now much better. The last two games are some vindication of that.

Playing on the counter will not win you the league or get you anywhere near it.

IMO the initial team and set up was TT's like without the intense coaching and playing against a side which is sleepwalking into relegation. A win is a win, however the stats don't lie and having watched the whole game they are a true reflection of the game.

9 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Playing on the counter will not win you the league or get you anywhere near it.

IMO the initial team and set up was TT's like without the intense coaching and playing against a side which is sleepwalking into relegation. A win is a win, however the stats don't lie and having watched the whole game they are a true reflection of the game.

It didn't stop Manchester United winning it twenty times.

^ Even our Conte team frequently used to soak up pressure with 5 at the back (and Matic!), and then give the ball to Cesc who would release the likes of Hazard, Pedro and Costa. 

It’s not particularly important, but you absolutely can win the league playing a counter attacking style. 

10 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It didn't stop Manchester United winning it twenty times.

And although it’s going back a bit, I recall Arsenal in  Henri era used play that kind of soak and release football. Really solid defence then spring the trap. It’s only when they started getting a bit obsessed with the tippy tappy stuff that it all went downhill. 
I think we have a defence that can hold firm and then players like Enzo who can play that Fabregas type ball to our speedy front three. 

Nice to see Ten Hag pointing out the lack of a red card for Leicester in this game after Casemiro’s red yesterday for a very similar “tackle”.  Doesn’t help us at all but it does prove just how shit VAR really is. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Nice to see Ten Hag pointing out the lack of a red card for Leicester in this game after Casemiro’s red yesterday for a very similar “tackle”.  Doesn’t help us at all but it does prove just how shit VAR really is. 

Quite a few social media gurus have also used it as an example, ironically because old mate Andre was the VAR offical in the Man Utd game and reffed ours .

1 hour ago, chrisb said:

Shit for us you mean. 

Biased against us, like the refereeing, unconscious or not. 

9 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

And although it’s going back a bit, I recall Arsenal in  Henri era used play that kind of soak and release football. Really solid defence then spring the trap. It’s only when they started getting a bit obsessed with the tippy tappy stuff that it all went downhill. 
I think we have a defence that can hold firm and then players like Enzo who can play that Fabregas type ball to our speedy front three. 

In todays game it will take  5 minutes for the opposition to suss out the counter attacking game and naturally defend deeper. "Plan B anyone?"

The team has no identity or style of play which is something all successful teams need, with the current 3 on the bounce wins being down to the use of TT playbook and the quality of the teams beaten.

April is a better test to see if the club has turned a corner.