Premier League

JaneB
Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

6 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

It was January 2003  - I was in the East upper, and recall wondering whether Uncle Ken would be doing donkey rides at half time. 

Remember the game well...mentioned before but the Chelsea /Watford semi at WHL shows what was the late season norm...I think today's fashion models would refuse to play on such surfaces!

40 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Simon Jordan is saying City should be booted out of the league. Only one opinion but the  tide is definitely  starting to turn against those shits. 

As fun as it would be to see, I really can't imagine Manchester City getting kicked out of the league. They've become one of the Premier League's biggest brands, and the same goes for Pep. Booting them out just doesn't seem likely.

Plus, City's lawyers will pull out all the stops to make sure it never happens. They'll drag out the hearings as long as possible, costing the Premier League millions in the process.

In the end, City will probably get a slap on the wrist that's made to look harsh but doesn't actually do much damage. Maybe a fine, which won't bother their rich owners or a points deduction that knocks them out of the title race for a season but still leaves them in the hunt for a Champions League spot.

Some people are hoping this is the beginning of the end for Man City as we know them. Imagine Pep leaving in the summer, De Bruyne heading to Saudi Arabia, Haaland off to Madrid, and City getting kicked out of the Premier League. The owners might decide whether to keep investing to climb back up the leagues or move on to something else.

It's possible Pep and De Bruyne will go, and I never expected Haaland to stick around long either. But even if City gets relegated, their money will keep enough of their players around, and they'll breeze through whatever division they're in and get back to the Premier League in no time. The owners wouldn't walk away as they've invested too much into this project, not just Man City but their other sides around the world as well.

A big question is what happens to all their titles and trophies if they're found guilty. During the period they allegedly broke the rules, do those titles get stripped? Do they leave those years blank in the history books, or hand the medals to the runners-up? Giving them to the runners-up seems too easy since it's not a given those teams would have won without City (highly likely but not a certainty). So, those years might just have no winner. Even trickier is what to do with the years following the alleged cheating, since everything they built off those foundations could (and in my opinion should) be seen as invalid.

It's a mess, and that's why it's taking so long to sort out. There's so much riding on the outcomes, making this a long and complicated process.

• Like 1

@My Blood Is Blue...more or less agree not the same Authority but Chelsea were hammered by sanctions with little or no support or protest from the "Football Family"..a thing that still angers and saddens me,,,

I expect no support for Citeh from the hyenas just wanting to see Citeh fall from grace (justified or not).

43 minutes ago, chara said:

Remember the game well...mentioned before but the Chelsea /Watford semi at WHL shows what was the late season norm...I think today's fashion models would refuse to play on such surfaces!

Would love to see them have to rack up and play on the farmers field that was the Baseball ground in mid winter. 

I do have fond memories of those days with the dreadful pitches, playing in the snow with an orange ball and gentle souls like Chopper, Hunter and co sorting out the men ftom the boys.

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

As fun as it would be to see, I really can't imagine Manchester City getting kicked out of the league. They've become one of the Premier League's biggest brands, and the same goes for Pep. Booting them out just doesn't seem likely.

Plus, City's lawyers will pull out all the stops to make sure it never happens. They'll drag out the hearings as long as possible, costing the Premier League millions in the process.

In the end, City will probably get a slap on the wrist that's made to look harsh but doesn't actually do much damage. Maybe a fine, which won't bother their rich owners or a points deduction that knocks them out of the title race for a season but still leaves them in the hunt for a Champions League spot.

Some people are hoping this is the beginning of the end for Man City as we know them. Imagine Pep leaving in the summer, De Bruyne heading to Saudi Arabia, Haaland off to Madrid, and City getting kicked out of the Premier League. The owners might decide whether to keep investing to climb back up the leagues or move on to something else.

It's possible Pep and De Bruyne will go, and I never expected Haaland to stick around long either. But even if City gets relegated, their money will keep enough of their players around, and they'll breeze through whatever division they're in and get back to the Premier League in no time. The owners wouldn't walk away as they've invested too much into this project, not just Man City but their other sides around the world as well.

A big question is what happens to all their titles and trophies if they're found guilty. During the period they allegedly broke the rules, do those titles get stripped? Do they leave those years blank in the history books, or hand the medals to the runners-up? Giving them to the runners-up seems too easy since it's not a given those teams would have won without City (highly likely but not a certainty). So, those years might just have no winner. Even trickier is what to do with the years following the alleged cheating, since everything they built off those foundations could (and in my opinion should) be seen as invalid.

It's a mess, and that's why it's taking so long to sort out. There's so much riding on the outcomes, making this a long and complicated process.

The real power is with the clubs, not the PL bosses. If the clubs band together and say enough is enough, it's either they go or we go, then City will be kicked out.

4 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

The real power is with the clubs, not the PL bosses. If the clubs band together and say enough is enough, it's either they go or we go, then City will be kicked out.

Agree with the spirit but I sense a "cast the first stone" issue..... I suspect that many,,if not all ..clubs don't want anyone to "turn over the stone" and see what is hiding there,

15 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

No club will want to be the first to raise it, in case others don’t follow and also, to @chara’s point, I doubt any club is squeaky clean and it could get very nasty very quickly

4 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

East Middle? You're coming down in the world, @east lower ... 😉

We moved out of the family stand (that was in the East Lower, having been moved from the Shed Lower.

But, I’d ’persuaded’ a supplier to get two East-Middle ST’s. That was when you got a dinner, drinks and programmes included with the ticket - in with the posh people.  Got to use them a good few times a year for ourselves and when there was a client who fancied it. They were front row, near the first gate next to the MH Stand. Great seats.

11 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

No club will want to be the first to raise it, in case others don’t follow and also, to @chara’s point, I doubt any club is squeaky clean and it could get very nasty very quickly

It’s punch and counter-punch from the PL and Man City now. There’s going to be a trade-off and not much will probably happen. As you say a fine, maybe some points deducted. 

I cannot imagine it’s great PR for the PL to have titles removed and retrospectively awarded to others. But the red-scum might get one of those, so anything’s possible! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Without a doubt a lot, if not most clubs have been involved in some dodgy dealings over the years and decades of football. Brown paper envelopes, tapping up players etc etc etc.  I also dont like our latest bit of playing within but  bending the rules with the hotel business.  Something which Simon Jordan actually applauded btw. But all that is on a completely different level to the what City are being charged with. Off the scale cheating and corruption the like of which has never been seen in this country. They need the  severest punishment  possible othwise they might as well do away with all the rules of football finance and just make it a free for all where everything and anything goes.

I expect they will have to pay a huge fine that will keep the Premier League in Christmas parties for a decade, along with a minimal points deduction. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, east lower said:

We moved out of the family stand (that was in the East Lower, having been moved from the Shed Lower.

But, I’d ’persuaded’ a supplier to get two East-Middle ST’s. That was when you got a dinner, drinks and programmes included with the ticket - in with the posh people.  Got to use them a good few times a year for ourselves and when there was a client who fancied it. They were front row, near the first gate next to the MH Stand. Great seats.

Just realised why it’s Shed Lower, Harding Upper etc. The alternative would be to call it the Middle East - not the best name when you’re trying to stop fighting in the stands … 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Without a doubt a lot, if not most clubs have been involved in some dodgy dealings over the years and decades of football. Brown paper envelopes, tapping up players etc etc etc.  I also dont like our latest bit of playing within but  bending the rules with the hotel business.  Something which Simon Jordan actually applauded btw. But all that is on a completely different level to the what City are being charged with. Off the scale cheating and corruption the like of which has never been seen in this country. They need the  severest punishment  possible othwise they might as well do away with all the rules of football finance and just make it a free for all where everything and anything goes.

I completely agree they should be severely punished, I just don’t believe that they will be. I have no faith in the PL to see this through to its fullest.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I do have fond memories of those days with the dreadful pitches, playing in the snow with an orange ball and gentle souls like Chopper, Hunter and co sorting out the men ftom the boys.

Me too. Those were th days, as they say.

• 2 weeks later...

Massive respect to Jack Grealish here.  Not the first time he's been the only one to take notice of youngsters ignored by everyone else 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Massive respect to Jack Grealish here.  Not the first time he's been the only one to take notice of youngsters ignored by everyone else 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Look how the lickspittle tries to stop him , speaks volumes about UEFA 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Look how the lickspittle tries to stop him , speaks volumes about UEFA 

Not my favourite player but absolute respect and admiration for that very human and heartwarming effort.

We old cynics would do well to remember our childhood and how we felt about the Gods that we thought walked among us,

• Agree 1

Just seen on Twitter:

If and when Man City are found guilty of their 115 charges, the punishment should include having Gareth Southgate as their manager for a minimum of 5 years.

• Haha 1