Chelsea 2 Everton 2

JaneB

April will be crucial for us. We can either end up fighting for top 4 and have a great result in Madrid for the second leg.

Or we can end up closer in relegation group and have a terrible result from Madrid and impossible to catch up later.

With yesterday's game in mind I'm not very optimistic.........

5 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

April will be crucial for us. We can either end up fighting for top 4 and have a great result in Madrid for the second leg.

Or we can end up closer in relegation group and have a terrible result from Madrid and impossible to catch up later.

When you look at the fixtures. We have the ability to struggle in all 9 games!

• Like 1

As expected, three wins followed by us dropping points and the knives are out again. Disappointing result but let's be honest at this point of the season you're playing teams desperate not to get relegated and this year the number of teams involved are around nine. I wouldn't say the draw is a result of bad planning it's more the mindset of the players whether they're conscious of it or not. Is it Potter's fault the defense switched off right at the end? No. Is it Potter's fault we didn't score more goals when you look at the number of chances created? No. The one criticism could be the rotating in of Pulisic to replace the injured (again) Sterling but by and large he was lively enough and I can only assume that he was the option that trained the best through the week.

It was the quintessential game of an otherwise frustrating season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holymoly said:

As expected, three wins followed by us dropping points and the knives are out again. Disappointing result but let's be honest at this point of the season you're playing teams desperate not to get relegated and this year the number of teams involved are around nine. I wouldn't say the draw is a result of bad planning it's more the mindset of the players whether they're conscious of it or not. Is it Potter's fault the defense switched off right at the end? No. Is it Potter's fault we didn't score more goals when you look at the number of chances created? No. The one criticism could be the rotating in of Pulisic to replace the injured (again) Sterling but by and large he was lively enough and I can only assume that he was the option that trained the best through the week.

Of course they are not his fault. However, he sets the standards for the players. His mentality to tactics, game discipline are an example and portrayal of what the players represent on the pitch. 
Simply not a good enough get out to say these things are not his fault. 
Go and watch those 1-2 mins before their second equaliser down the left. A combination of Gallagher , Chilwell and others (can’t remember who now) running around like headless chickens chasing the ball around and losing possession, rather than just professionally seeing the game out.

Top level managers just don’t let situations like that happen. If they do happen, they don’t get repeated. We do dumb stuff like this game by game. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I think it's worth countering with, even though we were horrible in this game and contrived to keep the ball for an eternity whilst not actually making a clear cut goal scoring opportunity, we only lost because Potter made unnecessary substitutions which handed the momentum to a side fighting for every point essentially buying the draw from a position of strength. 

4 hours ago, asvaberg said:

The games before and in between the CL games should be sacrificed and starting XI players fully rested for the CL games. It's not worth the effort, even if we win 5 in a row it won't be enough, it's too big of a gap and we will burn ourselves for the CL. 

13 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Is it Potter's fault the defense switched off right at the end? 

Yes it absolutely is, he took off a centre back that was in the flow of the game.whatever way you look at it he was stupid and naive.

A game that were having a manager who can read the demands of the scenario in question gets you the win. Unfortunately for us that’s not the one we have in charge.

We needed to keep the football, starve them of it for the last 10 minutes and not get defenders isolated 1 on 1. 

Not our chap, he’s hardly Pep in any respect but by god his selections and substitutions are baffling at times. Pulisic from the start! What had he done to deserve that?  Apart from Godfrey, they must have one of the slowest back fours in the league, stretch them out. Mudrych had a decent game last week and gets ‘rewarded’ by getting splinters in his backside next game. Mind you Mr P has to keep the owners happy as well. 

We have some very good players being managed by a second tier coach.

We should have had that game in the bag, by the time they scored their second goal. The Kovacic substitution was mind numbing.

19 minutes ago, east lower said:

Mind you Mr P has to keep the owners happy as well. 

This is the difference between a yes man coach  and a winning coach, is a winning coach would have trimmed the squad and sent the players he didn't rate to the reserves regardless of the owners wishes.

Winning coaches live and die by there decisions, whereas the like of GP trying to appease all fail

Edited by ROTG
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Holymoly said:

As expected, three wins followed by us dropping points and the knives are out again. Disappointing result but let's be honest at this point of the season you're playing teams desperate not to get relegated and this year the number of teams involved are around nine. I wouldn't say the draw is a result of bad planning it's more the mindset of the players whether they're conscious of it or not. Is it Potter's fault the defense switched off right at the end? No. Is it Potter's fault we didn't score more goals when you look at the number of chances created? No.

How can the knives be out again, according to the GP loving media it was a blip, and well done sean dyche Everton will not be relegated.

FWIW - The arse and villa played team in the relegation pack and humped them 4-1 & 3-0 respectively or was they blips, 

From this forum point of view, only a few who have change their  opinion on GP, most knew GP is not a Chelsea level coach. 

Question to you - Do you thing GP is capable to coach a team to +75 points in a season?

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

Yes it absolutely is, he took off a centre back that was in the flow of the game.whatever way you look at it he was stupid and naive.

It turns out Fofana was actually injured. 

On 19/03/2023 at 08:02, martin1905 said:

We should have walked top 4 this season. We could have not made a single signing, not sacked Tuchel , saved £600m and we would comfortably be in the top 4. That is how bad this is and probably the most damming thing you can say about Potter.

So, without a single singing, to get us through circa 50 games:

Our defense is:

James, Chilwell, Silva, Chalobah, Azpi..........

Midfield, after Kante breaks down, is Jorginho, Kovacic, Gallagher, RLC

Forwards, Ziyech, Pulisic, Havertz, Mount, Broja........CHO?

I am not defending Potter here, but the idea we could have walked top 4 without buying anyone is bonkers.

• Like 1